Thursday 7 March 2013

Mashups

A mashup is a webpage that combines other digital data to create a new service. A good example of a mashup is WikipediaVision. This website is takes Wikipedia entires and places them over a map. This creates a (almost) real time overview of where in the world a Wikipedia post is being edited/created and which one.

Mashups can be used for entertainment, Portwiture looks at a person's tweets and combines these with images from Flickr to create a visual overview of what this person has been talking about on Twitter.

I myself, would love to see a mashup webpage that would take places I have been to and have enjoyed (restaurants, parks, music), to provide me with real-time recommendations on a map of things that are around me. This probably already even exists, and I just haven't been looking hard enough.

Do you know of such a webpage or application?

No comments:

Post a Comment